Chicken cavatappi with mushrooms and a delightfully creamy sauce makes a hearty, comfort food meal that's ready for the table in just 30 minutes. This cheesy pasta dish is healthy, filling and flavorful, and features our high-protein, low-carb cavatappi pasta!
Mushroom and cheese chicken cavatappi. It's rich and creamy and a simple pasta recipe to make to add to your weekly dinnertime menu.
The mushrooms give it a savory, earthy, umami flavor that pairs well with the Parmesan cream sauce and tender chicken.
And the great thing about this easy chicken cavatappi recipe is it's a low-carb pasta option that tastes exactly like the real thing!
Why You'll Love It
Our simple mushroom and chicken cavatappi recipe is a great addition to your weekly menu, especially if you're looking for quick and easy dinners that pack a nutritious punch!
This high-protein dish is also gluten free and low carb, which means it can fit a variety of eating styles.
Chicken cavatappi is:
- A delicious meal with the best flavor!
- Hearty, filling and satisfying.
- High in protein and a low-glycemic pasta dish that is nutrient-dense.
- Quick and easy to make, even on the busiest nights.
About Our Pastas
Just like our other pastas, Kaizen Cavatappi is high in dietary fiber, high in protein and low in carbs, which means this recipe is perfect for those looking for healthy alternatives to their favorite pasta dishes.
Made with lupin flour, our lupini pastas and rice are all low carb, high protein, and nutrient dense. They're also completely plant-based, which makes them a wonderful protein option for vegan and vegetarian eaters.
And, each pasta has macros you'll love. One serving of Kaizen pasta offers 20 grams of protein, 15 grams of fiber and only 6 grams of net carbs.
Whether you're looking for a tasty keto pasta or other ways to get more plant protein into your meals, our pasta delivers. Not only is it filling and nutritious, but it tastes just like authentic pasta!
While we love Kaizen Cavatappi pasta for this chicken cavatappi recipe, you can use any of our pasta varieties and get the same delicious results.
Chicken Cavatappi Recipe with Mushrooms
Here's the full chicken cavatappi recipe along with recipe tips and notes to help you get the best results!
3 boneless and skinless chicken breasts
Salt and black pepper, to taste
1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
1 package Kaizen Cavatappi pasta
1 tablespoon butter
8 ounces crimini mushrooms
1 shallot, minced
2 teaspoons garlic, minced
1/4 cup chicken broth
1/2 cup heavy cream
1/2 to 3/4 cup freshly-grated Parmesan cheese
red pepper flakes, to taste (optional)
- Pat dry the chicken breasts with paper towels and season them on both sides with salt and pepper.
- In a large skillet set over medium-high heat, add the olive oil. When it glistens, add the chicken to the pan and cook for 8-9 minutes per side, or until done.
- As the chicken cooks, fill a medium saucepan with water and the cavatappi to al dente, about 5 minutes according to package directions. Drain pasta and set aside.
- Remove the chicken and set it aside to cool. When cool, slice the chicken into bite-sized pieces.
- In the same skillet, add the tablespoon of butter to the pan. Over medium heat, cook the mushrooms, and shallot for about 3 minutes. Add the garlic and broth and simmer for 3-4 minutes to reduce.
- Stir in the cream and Parmesan cheese. Let the sauce simmer for a few minutes so the cheese melts and the sauce thickens. Add the chicken and cooked pasta to the cream sauce and mix well to combine (if needed, do this in an extra large mixing bowl).
- Taste and add salt and pepper as needed. Serve the chicken cavatappi with red pepper flakes, fresh parsley or fresh basil (optional).
Chicken Cavatappi Recipe Notes
Substitutions & Additions
- Feel free to add a dash of garlic powder or onion powder for an even richer, savory flavor!
- If you're not a fan of mushrooms, feel free to swap in sun-dried tomatoes in this chicken cavatappi recipe!
- You can make the process even faster and save yourself some time by using leftover rotisserie chicken.
- Feel free to substitute chicken stock or veggie broth for chicken broth.
Frequently Asked Questions
What is Italian cavatappi?
Traditional cavatappi is a short and thin pasta tube shaped in a corkscrew pattern (S shape). Sauce clings well to this spiral shaped-pasta, which makes it fun and perfect for pasta salads, pasta bakes and any other pasta dish with a thick and creamy sauce.
What is cavatappi pasta made from?
Regular cavatappi is made of wheat, but Kaizen Cavatappi is a lupini flour pasta derived from lupini beans, a legume. Lupini is high in protein, low-carb and high-fiber, which makes our pasta ideal for gluten-free eaters and anyone looking for a nutritious pasta alternative to traditional wheat pasta. With 20 grams of protein per serving, it's also a wonderful, plant-based protein source!
How long does it take to cook cavatappi
Kaizen Cavatappi takes only 4-5 minutes to cook to al dente, the preferred texture for all of our lupini pastas.
What are your favorite ways to enjoy Kaizen pasta?
Snap a photo and tag us on Instagram @kaizenfoodcompany- we love to see how you flex your Kaizen creations with all of our low-carb pastas!
And if you give this chicken cavatappi recipe a try, let us know what you think!