This green pasta sauce recipe takes just minutes to prepare and is a fresh, green take on your traditional sauce. We LOVE a good, flavorful sauce, like this roasted tomato marinara. Our one-pot garlic Parmesan sauce is also tasty and next-level creamy. But if you're looking for a veggie-forward sauce that is light and fresh and hits all the right flavor notes, this green pasta sauce recipe will certainly deliver.
Fresh spinach, basil leaves and aromatics make the delicious base of this green creamy pasta sauce. Green onions and minced garlic add a light, savory flavor. And a bit of shredded Parmesan cheese and heavy cream take it up a notch, creating a silky smooth sauce.
Flavor-wise, this green pasta sauce is similar to pesto sauce, but with a mellowed, milder basil flavor and a smoother texture.
The recipe is a great way to use up fresh spinach and fresh herbs. It's also a great option for getting a good serving of veggies in with your low-carb lupini pasta!
- a creamy green sauce with a vibrant flavor and color
- made with simple ingredients
- easy to adapt
- a quick sauce that's nutritious and satisfying!
This green spinach pasta sauce recipe is also simple to modify if you need it to be completely plant-based. Swap in coconut cream for heavy cream and use your favorite vegan or dairy-free cheese!
And for even more protein per serving, top your lupini pasta and green sauce with chopped grilled chicken, fish or steak.
About Kaizen Pasta
The great thing about this green pasta sauce recipe is that it is the perfect sauce for all of our pastas! Choose any pasta shape you wish - Fusilli, Radiatori or Ziti- all of our lupini bean pastas make an incredible vessel for this flavorful green sauce.
Made with lupin flour, our low-carb pasta tastes just like regular pasta! And even better, one serving of our lupini pasta will fuel you up with 20 grams of protein, 15 grams of fiber and only 6 grams net carbs.
When it comes to nutrition, traditional pasta noodles don't even come close to the nutritional profile of our lupini pasta. (Here are a few more reasons why it makes the best keto pasta!)
Green Pasta Sauce Recipe
Prep this easy green pasta sauce in just 15 minutes! It's creamy and flavorful and packs a nutritious punch.
Yield: 4 servings
- 8 oz. Kaizen lupini pasta, any variety
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 6 green onions, chopped (about 3/4 cup)
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 5 ounces fresh baby spinach
- 1 large handful fresh basil leaves, torn
- 1/4 cup shredded Parmesan cheese (or 3 tablespoons nutritional yeast)
- 1 cup heavy cream (or coconut cream)
- 2-3 tablespoons chicken or vegetable broth (or reserved pasta water)
- sea salt
- freshly ground black pepper
- fresh lemon juice, lemon zest or red pepper flakes (optional)
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Add the dry pasta and cook for 5-8 minutes (5 minutes for al dente pasta). Drain all but 1/4 cup of pasta water and set the hot pasta aside along with the reserved pasta water.
- Set a large pan or skillet over medium heat. Pour in the tablespoon of olive oil. When it glistens, add the green onion. Cook for a couple of minutes. Add the minced garlic, cooking it another minute or so.
- Place the fresh spinach and basil leaves in the pan. Leave the spinach undisturbed for about 30 seconds, then stir, and repeat until all of the spinach and basil leaves are wilted (about 2-3 minutes total). Remove the pan from the heat.
- In a blender or food processor, add the Parmesan cheese and 3/4 cup cream (reserve the remaining 1/4 cup). Transfer the warm spinach mixture to the blender and blend/process for about 30 seconds or until the mixture is almost smooth (do not over process as the cream may stiffen). Add the rest of the cream and 2-3 tablespoons broth or reserved pasta water to thin it slightly.
- Pour the sauce back into the pan and heat the mixture until warm. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- In a large bowl, add the cooked lupini pasta and pour the green sauce over it. Toss to combine.
- Serve the pasta and green pasta sauce with extra grated Parmesan, fresh lemon juice/zest or red pepper flakes.
- Use either chicken broth, vegetable broth or the reserved pasta water to thin the sauce.
- The pasta cooks in just 5-8 minutes. For the best results, check it after 5 minutes to see if it's done to your liking.
- Whatever type of pasta you like will work! Choose any of our pasta varieties.
- Store leftover green pasta sauce in an airtight container in the refrigerator for 3-4 days.
- For a vegan green pasta sauce, use the recommended plant-based ingredient suggestions. Sub coconut cream or full-fat coconut milk (canned) for the heavy cream. Instead of Parmesan, use nutritional yeast.
What are your favorite ways to enjoy Kaizen pasta?
Snap a photo and tag us on Instagram @kaizenfoodcompany- we love to see how you flex your Kaizen creations with all of our low-carb pastas!
Here are a few other pasta dishes to try!