This high-protein mac and cheese recipe is rich, gooey, cheese-y goodness!
Made with our low-carb, high-protein lupini bean pasta, a rich cheddar cheese sauce, and a crunchy topping, every bite tastes just like the "real thing." But in fact, better, and better for you too.
It's a healthy mac and cheese that will help you hit your nutritional goals while enjoying the same cheesy flavor you would find in a traditional recipe.
Mac and Cheese is a beloved comfort food for good reason- the creamy sauce and tender pasta is an irresistible combination.
While it is hard to mimic that traditional mac and cheese taste and texture, we promise, this high protein mac and cheese recipe can do it all!
Not only is it high-protein (nearly 44 g protein per serving!) it is also a gluten-free, low-carb and keto mac and cheese recipe without cauliflower.
Let's talk about that sauce, made with real cheese, of course. No powdered cheese sauce mix, no synthetic dyes or high sodium content. REAL CHEESE all the way.
The combination of Gruyere and sharp cheddar adds a richer flavor and creamier texture to the dish than plain cheddar on its own- we highly recommend it.
Our high-protein mac and cheese is:
- a satisfying meal or side dish
- healthy and nutrient dense, with 44 grams of protein and only 8.5 g net carbs per serving
- a simple recipe that works any night of the week
- perfect for meal prep!
Why Choose Kaizen Pasta
Made from lupini beans, an ancient superfood, it is a gluten-free pasta that is high-protein, plant based, high fiber and low carb.
In fact, our pasta is one of the only healthier options for pasta on the market that fits a variety of eating styles.
Kaizen pasta gives you an easy way to hit your protein goals, whether you live an active lifestyle, working to build more muscle mass or are simply trying to increase your protein intake. It has almost double the protein of chickpea pasta and is more nutrient-dense than whole wheat pasta.
If you haven't given it a try yet, check out our lineup of lupini pasta varieties!
High Protein Mac and Cheese Recipe
This high protein mac and cheese recipe is part stove-top mac and cheese, part baked mac and cheese. It's so simple to make and is a delicious, creamy comfort food the whole family will enjoy.
Prep time: 30 minutes
Yield: 4-6 servings
- 8 oz. (1 box) Kaizen Food Company Pasta
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter
- 1 teaspoon xanthan gum (or 1 tablespoon arrowroot powder)
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream
- 2 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 1 cup shredded Gruyere cheese
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 bag low-carb chips (we used Hilo Life almond flour chips), crushed
- Preheat the oven to 325°F and grease a baking dish with a small amount of butter or oil. Place several cups water in a large pot and bring it to a boil. When boiling, add the pasta. Reduce to medium heat and cook the pasta for 5-8 minutes. Drain the pasta and toss it with the olive oil to prevent the pasta from sticking.
- While the pasta cooks, add the butter to a separate pan. Melt it over medium heat, then whisk in the xanthan gum (or arrowroot) and cook for 1 minute.
- Slowly pour in the heavy cream while whisking. Stir until smooth.
- Add the shredded cheddar cheese, Gruyere, sea salt and pepper to the mixture. Whisk constantly, and cook for a few minutes to let all the cheese melt. Continue stirring until the cheese sauce is thick and smooth.
- Remove from heat. In a large bowl, fold the cooked pasta into the cheese sauce until all of the pasta is coated.
- Transfer it to the baking dish. Sprinkle the crushed almond flour chips on top.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes.
- For additional protein, turn this into a casserole with chicken! Simply mix in chopped chicken breast, leftover rotisserie chicken or even canned chicken before baking.
- Store leftovers in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to one week.
More Recipes to Try
Love this recipe? Here are a few others using our high-protein lupini pasta that you might also enjoy!
New to lupini pasta? Learn more about this incredible superfood!
Snap a photo and tag us on Instagram @kaizenfoodcompany- we love to see how you flex your Kaizen creations with all of our low-carb pastas!